- The psychology of driving: your emotional state affects the way you drive and the safety of not only yourself but others around you. Neil will explore techniques and the mindset needed that will allow you to be a safe and considerate driver.
- The importance of observation: being aware of everything around you and understanding its significance to you making safe progress is a crucial part of driving.
- Vehicle dynamics: understanding how a vehicle behaves and keeping within a vehicle’s safe handling on a variety of surfaces will ensure that all is well. You will also learn how to respond safely and quickly when a vehicle starts to move beyond its envelope of stability and grip.
- Braking techniques from higher speeds: braking is not just about stopping a vehicle. The brake pedal and throttle allow you to balance, slow and stop when necessary. You will learn how to drive smoothly with balance and precision.
- Cornering techniques: “in slow out fast” this is an often misunderstood art which if handled incorrectly leads to increased tyre wear or a visit to the hedge at worst.
- Understanding and controlling oversteer and understeer: a mysterious art this which you will not only understand but also start your journey to being a master painter.
- Traction and stability control systems: modern cars have a plethora of electronic systems that are believed to conquer all. You will understand the importance of not relying on them to keep you out of trouble.
This course is designed for those with a high-performance road car. Using both the public highway and a test track we explore the principles of higher performance roadcraft and circuit driving techniques. Neil runs these courses personally, drawing on his many years as a Porsche Driving Consultant at Silverstone.